The fleet of closed window coaches maintained by the ITM are streamlined, stainless steel equipment manufactured by the Budd Corporation in 1937 and 1938. They were the first stainless steel coaches built by that company. Coach 3072, which is in our collection, was the very first coach of this type off the production line. Since the windows of these coaches can not be opened, the cars also represent some of the first coaches built with air conditioning as standard equipment.

The Museum owns fourteen of the 30 coaches which were originally built for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad and were used on such famous trains as “The Texas Chief’, “The Scout”, and “The El Capitan”. The coaches continued to operate between Chicago, Kansas City, and Los Angeles until the early 1960’s. They were sold by the Santa Fe to the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) which used them on both the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Erie-Lackawanna Railway. Twenty years later, although still in good condition, 15 cars were sold at scrap price to the Museum. Eight of these coaches have been restored. One was lost to fire damage in 1996 while it was waiting it’s turn for restoration.

The Museum also operates the Silver Salon, a combination baggage-buffet-lounge car that once operated between Chicago and the Twin Cities on the Burlington Railroad. It now serves as a head end power (HEP) car housing a diesel generator that provides electricity to power the lights and air conditioning on the train consist.