Florida East Coast (FEC) No. 90 is a private railroad car built by Jackson & Sharp of Wilmington, Delaware, in 1898. Most private cars were built for railroad executives with costs limited by the ever watchful stockholders. Very few were built with no restrictions on expense as was FEC No. 90 which served as a rolling hotel suite for Henry Morrison Flagler. Mr. Flagler made his fortune as a founding partner of Standard Oil Company and used his profits to build the Florida East Coast Railroad. FEC No. 90 was designed on a luxurious scale to reflect Mr. Flagler’s wealth and tastes and is considered to be one of the most beautiful rail cars ever constructed.

While most private cars during the 1880’s and 1890’s were paneled in dark varnished oak or mahogany, FEC No. 90’s interior has the bright, sunny look of it’s Florida home base. All interior walls are paneled in the finest satin wood and framed with intricately hand carved blonde mahogany. Empire ceilings are painted in two-tone green and decorated with an elaborate gold leaf floral pattern. Carpeting, curtains, and upholstered furniture designs reflect the decorative tastes of the period and are color coordinated with the ceiling. Chandeliers and lamps are made of bronze and fitted with cut glass globes. An unusual feature of the car is a working fireplace of onyx and bronze located in the dining room.

FEC No. 90 continued to serve the Florida East Coast Railroad until the 1950’s when it was purchased by Ike Duffey of Anderson, president of the Central Indiana Railroad. Mr. Duffey painted the car dark green and named it “Duchess” after his dog. Collector / restorer Reuben Darby of Hagerstown, Maryland bought the car in the 1960’s after Mr. Duffey’s death.

Upon completion of a meticulous $110,000 restoration in 1969, Mr. Darby delivered FEC No. 90 to Mr. & Mrs. Anton (Tony) Hulman, Jr. The car remained in Terre Haute until it was placed on permanent loan to the Indiana Transportation Museum.