ITMZ 200

EMD GP-9 No. 200 was built in 1954 for the Union Pacific. The “GP” (General Purpose, or Road Switcher) series of diesels were introduced by EMD with its GP-7 in 1951, to replace steam engines on branch line, switching, and miscellaneous duties.

Engine no. 200 was the first unit of Union Pacific’s first large order, 190 units, of road switchers delivered in early 1954. It later served in North Carolina on the tourist-hauling Great Smoky Mountain Railroad and came to Indiana as Central of Indiana’s no. 1755. Restored by ITM in 2000, it’s road number is “ITMZ 200” in a generic B & O/C & O/Wabash blue.

This is one of three operating road locomotives and is usually found pulling one end of our trains.